Main Homepage:
This site has a NetWord:*scubavance
More Scuba: Back to Vance's Scuba Page | Return to Vance's Logbook contents
Navigate logbook: previous dive | next dive

Dive Logs for Vance Stevens
PADI open water scuba instructor #64181
Dive 383
March 22, 2001
Abu Dhabi, inside the breakwater

Diving with:Marina Divers
Dive site: inside the breakwater
Dive buddy: Robin Lunden
Others in dive party: Wayne at the helm, Chris and an Arab guy with divemaster ...
Conditions: calm inside the breakwater but waves rolling outside, balmy air, warm sun
Water Temp: 22 degrees C on dive computer
Visibility: 3 meters, not bad for inside the breakwater
Wetsuit combo: typhoon top and farmer john inside, perfectly cozy for 22 degrees
Weight:10 kg
Diving from: Marina divers boat

Training conducted: Robin Lunden's final Advanced Open Water dive for certification

Dive 383

Data from dive computer:

Time down on dive computer: 11.12
Max depth: 8.7 meters
Time started up from chart: 00:56
Dive time from computer: 57 min.
Min Temp: 22 degrees C (fairly comfortable)
Nitrox 21% (normal air), no deco

Pressure group out, from tables: not relevant

PSI/Bar in: 205
PSI/Bar out: 30

Description of dive:

Robin and I walked out on land the four tasks we would be doing: measuring time and kick cycles over a 30 meter distance as I played out and retrieved the reel, retracing that route on visual indicators and returning to the start, taking a compass bearing on one leg of our square pattern and returning to the start, and then returning to the starting point after completing a 30 by 30 meter square.

After kitting up we dropped down the anchor line. We had planned to tie off on it but there were some rocks and coral nearby so I used those. I hadn't really expected to see anything more than sand at the bottom, and was pleased to find landmarks. We did notice that the anchor had dragged slightly to the east / southeast, indicating a slight current that direction.

We took the reel to the north but very soon encountered rocks so we carried it to the east so that at the end of 30 meters it was lying about 45 degrees from the anchor rock. I pulled a bit of metal grating over to mark the spot definitively and we went back over the length. Robin counted kicks, 28 to my 23, and timed the distance at about 55 seconds. We then double checked kicks and time back to the grating where we picked up the reel. I had tried to point out salient features along the way, and again made note and pointed out rocks and dips in the sand and debris en route as we took in the reel to get ourselves back to the anchor rock. I then covered my compass indicating that Robin should lead us to the grate, and unlike a lot of my students who will check their compasses at that point, Robin swam with his arms behind and actually did lead us to the grate and back to the anchor rock as per the performance requirements.

We had sighted down the line to mark it at 43 or 45 degrees off north, and I noticed that Robin hovered as he checked his compass rather than bracing himself on rocks and coral. We now sketched out the compass bearings on my slate, 45, 135, 225, and 315 degrees. For our reciprocal exercise we had decided to go east from the anchor point, leg 4 of our square, and leave a plastic bag in the sand at that spot as a landmark when we did the square pattern later. We did this, passing over the anchor line a few kicks out and leaving a bag full of seabottom at the spot we'd hope to reach later. Robin then took us back to the anchor rock on a 315 degree heading.

Now for the square pattern, Robin led us flawlessly to the grating on a 45 degree compass heading on a leg it was hard to lose our way on since we'd done it several times already. But this was a challenging enough area since the next three legs would be over sand. We then headed out at 135 degrees away from the seawall, turned, and continued at 225, but we found no bag. Puzzled, I handed Robin the end of my line and I set out west to see where we'd gone off. In a few kicks I could see the anchor line, so I knew we'd come west of our point. I swam past Robin a few kciks and swept with the reel, rotating from where Robin remained stationary, but still saw no bag. So I returned to Robin and suggested he continue the square to the northwest. I knew he would then pass us by the anchor line and to our anchor rock, but in only 10 or 15 kick cycles instead of 20/30.

I then wrote on my slate that we should go back to find the bag we'd left and complete the square from there. Robin then took us 135 degrees southeast and came out within 5 meters of the bag, which we collected and pocketed. From there we headed 45 degrees to a nondescript spot in the sand and turned 315 to come out on the grate by the seawall. Completing the square on a 225 degree heading was a safe bet since we knew all the landmarks by then.

We checked air. Robin had about 80 bar but I was surprised to be down to almost 50. I guess I hadn't been monitoring my breathing. I didn't think we needed to surface though, so I suggested we do one final thing we'd discussed on board the boat. We headed north toward the seawall and I counted 7 kick cycles before we reached the rocks. We then turned west along the wall. I noticed the turning point had some cables in the sand, which I would look for on my way back. We went along the seawall a couple of minutes until I was down to almost 40 bar. We then returned to the cables, headed south 7 kick cycles, and returned to the familiar rock and anchor line. Up it we went to complete a satisfyingly executed dive.

Pressure group out, from tables: not relevant

Vance Stevens, |
Page updated: April 6, 2001 in Hot Metal Pro 6.0